Ex. 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
Ex. 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Ex. 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Ex. 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Ex. 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Ex. 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Ex. 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
Ex. 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Ex. 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Ex. 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Ex. 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Ex. 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Ex. 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
Ex. 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Ex. 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
Ex. 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Ex. 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbours wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbours.
Ex. 20:18 And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.
Ex. 20:19 And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.
Ex. 20:20 And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.
Welcome To The Light-Washed Path,
All man’s ills stem from failure to keep the 10 Commandments. This wonderful consolidation of moral light encompasses the entire complexity of human failure. Never was a more perfect and simple charter set before men. Every errant, deviate group known to man is flushed out and caught like flies on a Shell No-Pest Strip, by this simple document of decency. There’s something on this list to offend everybody. Like a great divinely impartial locator, the 10 Commandments zero in to find that specific spot in each heart, where rebellion has lodged its poison.
Every crime, atrocity and misery of humanity derives its inception from the rejection of one of these commands from our Creator. With the 10 Commandments, God has given mankind the great gift of defining right from wrong. Over the framework of the 10 Commandments, man is able to fashion every instrument of law and self-government.
These are in essence, The 10 Reasons why we fail. An honest study of exactly what these commandments meant to God, will reveal why we will never do more than destroy ourselves, if we insist on proceeding without Him. Their wisdom escapes none but the self-confident fool.
Here they are:
1. Do not practice idolatry: worshipping anything other than the Lord God, Who is our Maker and Redeemer. From the failure to acknowledge the supremacy of God, flows every corruption of arrogance and self-deception. Ex. 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
2. Do not worship the false gods of man’s imagination. They are invented and therefore worshipping them is sinful. For you are giving worship owed to the true Living God, the Creator, to that which is an imposter, invented in ignorance, incapable of responding. Ex. 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth… Ex. 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them:
3. You shall not degrade, make desolate and morally ruin the name of the Lord your God, Who is the pinnacle and wellspring of all truth and moral excellence. For through the true reverence of His name every moral good and spiritual value is retained. Ex. 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain
4. You shall remember the Sabbath Day of Rest and keep it holy unto the Lord, as a day of worship so that you and your family may remember and refresh yourselves in the truth that the Lord is your Provider and source of blessing. Ex. 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
5. You shall honor your father and mother, and not denigrate the sacrifice of parenthood, for you are sowing to your own and future generations, with your example. Ex. 20:12 Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee…
Tomorrow, 6 through 10. So until then…
Stay On The Path!